Setting mytools.management to a different domain | 🧭 Planned

Is it possible to modify the mytools.management to a different domain e.g. adam.mypfsensedomain.net

Thanks!

Hi @edanpedragosa
We don’t currently have any plans to support custom domains for MyTools.

adam1.tools will redirect to mytools.management

Accessing it via IP shows the mytools.management contents.

Or is it possible to allow the current PFSENSE hostname.domain.name to show the page instead of saying This page has expired.:

The way it works is we have some shortcut/alternative domains built-in such as adam1.tools and adamone.tools that redirect to mytools.management when behind adam:ONE.

if you’re looking for this a shortcut for just yourself, edit your hosts file:

For linux & mac,

echo 'X.X.X.X adam.example.com' >> /etc/hosts

On Windows, edit hosts at

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

X.X.X.X  adam.example.com

-OR-

If you need a client-independent solution, set up an A (IP address) or CNAME (hostname) record in your resolver.

It won’t work as even if it resolves to the correct IP, adam:ONE currently only allows mytools.management or the IP address it self of the server to show the contents. Otherwise, it will just show as expired using other domains aside from mytools.management and redirects e.g. adamone.tools and adam1.tools.

Strange. Worked for me (before) — I’ll dig deeper, and see what I can’t turn up

found my notes!

you can point your.domain.com to a web server you control (using A records in your DNS settings), and then set up that web server to redirect requests to mytools.management or the local IP of the firewall. Here’s how you can do it with Apache or Nginx servers:

Apache: You can use the mod_rewrite module in your .htaccess file like so (must have either Apache with mod_rewrite enabled):

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://mytools.management/$1 [R=301,L]

-or-

Nginx: You can add a server block in your Nginx configuration file:

server {
            listen 80;
            server_name mypage.com;
            location / {
                proxy_pass http://mytools.management;
            }
        }

redirect is a quick work-around, but it would be nicer if it can be just any domain pointing to that IP should show the mytools.management contents.

Thanks anyhow!

I’d recommend that you guys click the Vote button on the top left of this topic, it’s something we can consider in the future.
But for now setting up your own redirect whether it’s local using a web service such as nginx or apache, or even through your registrar (for eg. Hover can do this) is the workaround.

@atw, I don’t suppose I could ask how this mytools page determines the frame of reference it’s being called from (as a block page, or as a reserved URL)?
it might be elucidate an easy solution

[edit: looking for a more specific implementation detail regarding how the host header is being examined and used by the server running pfSense, and specifically, how the MyTools management page determines its context.]

It’s a custom lightweight web service built into anmuscle. We just need to add a method for users to define their own custom domain to use.
I’d recommend anyone interested to upvote this post.

It says I ran out of voting power… :smiley:

1 Like